[ubuntu-uk] Annoying installation problem ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Jun 6 14:47:44 UTC 2015

On 06/06/15 14:40, Colin Law wrote:

> I that case perhaps, as I suggested, you did not tell the installer to
> use sdb for boot.

As Ubuntu is now so quick and easy to install, I popped a spare 80GiB
drive into my caddy, and repeated the exact procedure to install onto
sdc (the 80GiB drive).
1) Boot from DVD.
2) Select 'Install Ubuntu' from the first partition.
3) Followed defaults after selecting 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu',
and selecting sdc as the disk to be erased.
At no point was there anything to ask where I wanted grub to go.  I
think this can only be done from the manual install screen.  As on the
second occasion, there was no message about the boot not being
compatible with legacy BIOS.

After the requested restart at the end of the installation, grub had
been installed and updated to sda, and showed Mint, and the two
installations of Ubuntu (the one on sdb and the one on sdc).  sdc itself
had not been made bootable.

> That does not explain why it would not boot off sdb the first time,
> but it is may be too late to work that out now.

It is also very difficult to understand why there were two differences
in behaviour from the same DVD.  On the first installation, I was taken
to a grub screen to select Live DVD, installation or OEM installation.
The second and third time, I did not get this, or the subsequent warning
about no compatibility with legacy BIOS.  The disk is read only, and
finalised.  I can't think where the installer might have stored the new
information ...  The reason I am asking all this is because I understand
so little about the installer itself - It's wonderful unless you have
more than one disk drive available.

I always follow the installation defaults whenever I install the testing
version, as I assume that is what the majority of folk will do.  That
way, hopefully, problems I find will be similar for most folk.  I
suppose I could burn a fresh DVD and do another fresh install to sdc to
see what happens, but if the information is not on the DVD, I guess the
same would happen as before.

Back to me real question - how can I report this strange behaviour?  I
do regard it as a bug.

Regards,		Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/