[ubuntu-uk] Annoying installation problem ....

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:11:18 UTC 2015

On 6 June 2015 at 15:47, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/15 14:40, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> I that case perhaps, as I suggested, you did not tell the installer to
>> use sdb for boot.
>

> As Ubuntu is now so quick and easy to install, I popped a spare 80GiB drive
> into my caddy, and repeated the exact procedure to install onto sdc (the
> 80GiB drive).
> 1) Boot from DVD.
> 2) Select 'Install Ubuntu' from the first partition.
> 3) Followed defaults after selecting 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu', and
> selecting sdc as the disk to be erased.
> At no point was there anything to ask where I wanted grub to go.  I think
> this can only be done from the manual install screen.  As on the second
> occasion, there was no message about the boot not being compatible with
> legacy BIOS.
>
> After the requested restart at the end of the installation, grub had been
> installed and updated to sda, and showed Mint, and the two installations of
> Ubuntu (the one on sdb and the one on sdc).  sdc itself had not been made
> bootable.
>>

>> That does not explain why it would not boot off sdb the first time,
>> but it is may be too late to work that out now.
>

> It is also very difficult to understand why there were two differences in
> behaviour from the same DVD.  On the first installation, I was taken to a
> grub screen to select Live DVD, installation or OEM installation. The second
> and third time, I did not get this, or the subsequent warning about no
> compatibility with legacy BIOS.

I have not got a Wily install DVD so cannot check at the moment.
Immediately on booting from the DVD do you get, for a few seconds, a
picture of a man and keyboard at the bottom of screen?  If so what
happens if you immediately hit a key?

Will come back to the other issues.  I think I will have to download
Wily, which takes several hours on my slow broadband :(
See below also.

>  The disk is read only, and finalised.  I
> can't think where the installer might have stored the new information ...
> The reason I am asking all this is because I understand so little about the
> installer itself - It's wonderful unless you have more than one disk drive
> available.
>
> I always follow the installation defaults whenever I install the testing
> version, as I assume that is what the majority of folk will do.  That way,
> hopefully, problems I find will be similar for most folk.  I suppose I could
> burn a fresh DVD and do another fresh install to sdc to see what happens,
> but if the information is not on the DVD, I guess the same would happen as
> before.
>
> Back to me real question - how can I report this strange behaviour?  I do
> regard it as a bug.

I think first it is worth while working out exactly what happened, but
when you get round to it I believe you should run from the DVD and
then
ubuntu-bug ubiquity
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage