[ubuntu-uk] How old is your computer?

TT Mooney ttmooney at ttmooney.com
Mon Jan 5 18:40:17 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 17:58, Gibbs wrote:

> On 05/01/15 16:46, TT Mooney wrote:
>> On 05/01/15 16:12, Gibbs wrote:
>>>
>> I love the freedom of Linux, especially on the desktop. The software is
>> mature (albeit there are problems, like at the end of Gnome 2). But
>> hardware that 'just works' with the OS is the killer feature. Well, that
>> and battery life. :)
>
> I don't know much about Mac OS X but I doubt its easier to maintain. 'It
> just works' isn't difficult, in regards to Apple, when you have 5-6
> products in a line all on the same architecture. Linux runs on
> everything so it has to play catch-up with very new hardware.
>
> If drivers are a concern for new high-end desktops or certain
> peripherals I suggest a bit of research prior to buying. I haven't had
> an issue with Linux and hardware for at least 5-6 years so I'm in the
> annoying 'works for me' camp :)

Perhaps you missed it, but I bought the Dell-supported Ubuntu-supplied
laptop. So, I did 'so some research' and chose to support Canonical's
efforts to get Ubuntu released on more computers when they ship.
However, it hasn't really worked out the way I expected it to. And the
Dell was pretty much price equivalent to a Mac.

In the decade prior to this, I researched all the components, and even
replaced those that were known to be problematic. For a company on (at
the time) three continents with 50 ish employees. But, frankly, that's
all a bit much, considering I paid over the top for a 'just works'
Ubuntu experience. Dell did not deliver, and does not provide support.
And we bought probably a half-dozen XPS 13s on the strength of Dell and
Canonical supporting Ubuntu out of the box. End of story, but not end of
lesson.

I'm sure you don't mean to come across as condescending, but email is an
imperfect medium, and smiley faces don't help all that much. But,
especially in outreach or when trying to win over new users to Linux on
the desktop, saying 'it works for me' isn't really a great answer.
Frankly, I expected a top-tier experience, since I paid a top-tier
price. But that is not what I got, and while 'you can fix it' and 'it
can be mitigated' are both true, neither one is what the community needs
to move forward.

Then again, Canonical is focused on Openstack (making money) and Ubuntu
Touch (a noble idea, but definitely not making money), so I have to
think that the desktop, and deals with computer manufacturers, is no
longer the jewel in the crown.

travis

BTW, most of my 5-6 year old equipment still works without any issue. In
fact, my Thinkpad X220 is still going strong, running Ubuntu. But I
thought it would be good to vote with my wallet to show some support
through Dell. Again, lesson learned -- they don't care.