[ubuntu-uk] Ending Dual-Boot

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:43:44 UTC 2014

On 9 March 2014 17:04, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The big day has arrived. I'm in a position to finish with all this dual-boot
> nonsense and give my Dell laptop entirely over to Xubuntu. If I use GParted
> to delete the 2 partitions used by Windows 7, and then resize the Linux
> partition, it strikes me that Grub might get into a mess. I'm sure I could
> probably modify the Grub setup but is this approach more trouble than it's
> worth? Would I be better off just starting from scratch with a fresh Xubuntu
> install? The reason I'd like to avoid this if practical is that it always
> takes me a couple of days to get everything just the way I like it whenever
> I do a full reinstall.
>
> Any advice most welcome.

Well, given the timing, I'd suggest that you wait until next month,
when there will be a new fresh LTS release, and use that to wipe the
machine and do a full clean install.

But, TBH, although I do have one or 2 machines with only a single OS
on, most of my (many, many) PCs   dual-boot with copies of Windows
that sometimes don't get booted for years on end, and if there's no
Windows on them, with MS-DOS (or DR-DOS, as that's FOSS, and I happen
to know it well, unlike FreeDOS).

It's handy to keep DOS or Windows around for emergencies and for
things like BIOS-reflashing.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven