[ubuntu-uk] Ending Dual-Boot

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun Mar 9 20:29:38 UTC 2014

On 09/03/14 17:04, Nigel Verity wrote:
> The big day has arrived. I'm in a position to finish with all this
> dual-boot nonsense and give my Dell laptop entirely over to Xubuntu.
> If I use GParted to delete the 2 partitions used by Windows 7, and
> then resize the Linux partition, it strikes me that Grub might get
> into a mess. I'm sure I could probably modify the Grub setup but is
> this approach more trouble than it's worth? Would I be better off just
> starting from scratch with a fresh Xubuntu install? The reason I'd
> like to avoid this if practical is that it always takes me a couple of
> days to get everything just the way I like it whenever I do a full
> reinstall.

I do a fresh install every six months as a matter of course.  It keeps
the installation fresh and fast, and I get rid of stuff that's
accumulated and not really required.  I have lists of installation
procedures for hardware drivers etc. and a few scripts I wrote.  The
entire install takes about an hour.  I always have two versions on two
separate hard-drives - the stable, and the testing which I use until it
breaks.  I can grab stuff from the other version whenever things get
difficult.  I've been working like this for two years now and it is my
preferred method.  I have a third, big hard drive for backups and
general archiving, and I have all current stuff backed up on U1.

Regards,        Barry.