[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to software centre

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 09:10:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-19 at 21:18 +0100, Gareth France wrote:
> Some may recall many, many weeks ago I started attempting to package a
> simple perl script for publishing in the software centre. The process
> can only be described as painful, slow and extremely unhelpful. It
> seemed to take about a week to submit and get any sort of reply back.
> Over several attempts I dealt with each issue they came up with,
> returned to me in vague gobbledygook with no real explaination at all.
>
> Last time I submitted things went very silent, for a very long time.
> This week I received a random email telling me it was ready to be
> published when I want to. The thing is, after all that and the long
> delays I now can't recall what I did to produce an output they were
> happy with and as a result I quite frankly can't be bothered.
>
> Why is this process not handled in a sane manner which doesn't put off
> anyone who doesn't already know it all? I don't physically have the time
> to go back over everything and refresh my knowledge every time I go back
> to it and the way this has gone that is exactly what I'd have to do.

It was slow due to the fact that things changed, we needed to put a
whole load of docs in place and there was a backlog of apps that was
huge due to this.  Your app still wasn't 100% correct but after some
fettling I got it build.  The instructions in the links were pretty much
step by step, and others including myself have managed to produce
packages from it.  If you can be more specific about what you had issues
with then maybe we can smooth the process.  In future it should take a
day for the app to land in the store once the last of the backlog is
gone.

It's not perfect, it is painful, and click is way easier which is where
all the development is going due to that being the future.
--
You Make It, I'll Break It!

I Love My Job :)

http://www.canonical.com