[ubuntu-uk] Publishing to software centre

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 20:18:09 UTC 2014

Some may recall many, many weeks ago I started attempting to package a
simple perl script for publishing in the software centre. The process
can only be described as painful, slow and extremely unhelpful. It
seemed to take about a week to submit and get any sort of reply back.
Over several attempts I dealt with each issue they came up with,
returned to me in vague gobbledygook with no real explaination at all.

Last time I submitted things went very silent, for a very long time.
This week I received a random email telling me it was ready to be
published when I want to. The thing is, after all that and the long
delays I now can't recall what I did to produce an output they were
happy with and as a result I quite frankly can't be bothered.

Why is this process not handled in a sane manner which doesn't put off
anyone who doesn't already know it all? I don't physically have the time
to go back over everything and refresh my knowledge every time I go back
to it and the way this has gone that is exactly what I'd have to do.