[ubuntu-uk] OT - secure email?

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Thu Sep 5 10:57:48 UTC 2013

On 4 September 2013 12:28, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I suspect that the solution fundamentally relies on denying access to
> encryption keys to anybody other than the sender and the intended recipient.
> The system based on page, line numbers and word positions in a commonly
> available book worked well for the SOE during WW2. With so much digital
> media available today, perhaps an updated version of that approach might
> provide a pointer.

Thank you for the mail as a whole, you've succinctly wrapped up the
issues in a much clearer way than I could!

With regards to your last comment (included above), just bear in mind
that in the UK, should you be arrested and requested to hand over your
decryption keys, you are required to comply with that request, by law,
under RIPA (http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/Regulation_of_Investigatory_Powers_Act_2000/Part_III).
For many that won't be an issue, but just bear it in mind.

Regards,
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs