[ubuntu-uk] OT - secure email?

Muñiz Piniella, Andrés a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es
Thu Sep 5 05:40:39 UTC 2013

> Most people are not involved in radical politics, crime or anything else
which could prove, at the very least, embarrassing if made public. For them
the notion "you have nothing to fear if you are not doing anything wrong"
probably hits the mark. That is the luxury of living in a country with a
relatively benign system of government.

> There are, however, plenty of places where things we take to be perfectly
acceptable, such as moaning about the government, watching a bit of adult
entertainment or encouraging friends to go to church can land someone in
seriously hot water. Helping those people should be the driver behind
finding ways of defeating interception. Everyone will subsequently benefit,
whether they see email security as an issue or not.

> As with any issue, it's for the people who do understand the problem to
do something about it. Waiting for the mainstream to call for action
probably means leaving it too late.

> I suspect that the solution fundamentally relies on denying access to
encryption keys to anybody other than the sender and the intended
recipient. The system based on page, line numbers and word positions in a
commonly available book worked well for the SOE during WW2. With so much
digital media available today, perhaps an updated version of that approach
might provide a pointer.

Hello,
Thanks for this conversation. I finally think I understood mail encryption
thanks to Cory Doctrows's ”little brother”

How about as a starting point we all sign are emails with the public key?
That will get people curious.
K-9 email client for android seems to have some support for it.

I seem to recall before the Snowden stuff someone in this mailing list did
this and made me think about it a bit.