[ubuntu-uk] Cranky old Rhythmbox

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Fri May 10 19:11:09 UTC 2013

Top- posting because the rest of the thread is...

I have rhythmbox running fine in 13.04, with 6000+ tracks (not sure how
many albums). I've had it open since I booted, about 2 weeks ago. I suspend
every night too. Plays fine, although I have seen problems like those
mentioned previously.

Neil.

On 10 May 2013 15:19, "Phill Whiteside" <PhillW at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I use gmail, so it all appears in the correct order to me. I believe
there is a seperate thread on the way email clients work.

> As Rhythmbox is searching my music collection, I don't want to stress the
computer out too much - It's using 100% of one of my two CPU's.

> I'll have a look at what is needed for 2.99 and let you know.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
>

> On 10 May 2013 15:08, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> H'mm. I've also tried reinstalling from the repository, using Synaptic,
and it doesn't make any difference, and looking at it, the thing in the
repository is also 2.98. But if I was to download 2.99 from the FTP page
you indicated, wouldn't I have to do all the configuration manually? That
would be totally beyond me. By the way, we shouldn't be top posting like
this. It forces people to read the conversation from bottom to top as well
as from top to bottom.

>> On 10/05/13 14:44, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>>>
>>> 13.04 has installed 2.98 have a check on 'help --> about"
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Phill

they stopped, evidently imagining it was as perfect as it could ever be. I
assume that's what I've got, because I assume that's what's delivered in
the complete Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit ISO, which is what I have installed.

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/

which has since gone away / been unmounted? The skipping through tracks is
often when it says "ok, what track is next, lets play it, oh, it's gone,
ok, next track.. " etc.

and doesn't find them; I mean it literally skips through each track,
jumping e.g. thirty seconds at a time. But this is just the commonest
immediate symptom of a general haywireness that sets in if it has been left
running but idle for more than a few minutes. By the way, AFAIK, I only
have this on one of my three machines, but they are all identically set up,
with completely fresh installs of 13.04 and then all files, including the
1850+ albums, reloaded from an external hard drive. This takes an hour or
two for each fresh install, but it gives me maximum free space, so I do it
happily, rather than install the new versions keeping the old files and
settings.