[ubuntu-uk] 12.10 without updates works

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri May 3 16:29:52 UTC 2013

On 03/05/13 16:52, MARTIN DIXON wrote:
> Having become complacent and not having done an immediately preceding
> backup I panicked and may have altered some basic settuings  So to try
> a clean start I obtained the 12.04 and 12.10 discs.  I have trialled
> various combinations and have found the only successful system is to
> erase the HD and reinstall 12.10 with no updates.

As we are now on 13.04 with a couple of updates, and as 13.04 seems
slightly slicker and more stable already than was 12.10, I'm surprised
you have not yet tried the current distro!  Generally - because of their
history of use - a distribution upgrade often seems to give problems
that a fresh install of the new distro is often better, quicker and
simpler!  Others may disagree, but personally, I work on two
hard-drives, one with the current distro and one with the next (testing)
version.  During the next few days, I will install 13.10 Saucy
Salamander from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ and start
using it as dual boot with Raring Ringtail as the second option.

Kind regards,        Barry.