[ubuntu-uk] Imagine if Linux become massively popular?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Thu Jun 13 10:48:20 UTC 2013

On 13/06/13 11:25, Byte Soup wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In light of some recent discussions I've seen on this list it seems a
> lot of folks are keen to promote Linux and see it deployed and used
> more especially on the desktop. I've been using Ubuntu daily (plus
> some other distros on and off) for a few years now. I love it and
> wouldn't switch back, however I have no real gripe against windows.
>
> I have been wondering on one thing though, would we really want to see
> a greater uptake of Linux by the general population? I think we can
> agree that partially the success of windows has made it a target for
> criminals and malware. So if for whatever reason tomorrow we saw a
> massive uptake then where would that leave us? Would it really be a
> good thing?
>
> -Mark

I don't think education is ready,  there are lots of courses out there
for Windows,  Office etc ann very little for Linux where would we get
the tutors to educate the tutors,  and we would need to suggest a min
standard of knowledge, who educates the tutors.  or can we take our vast
selt taught knowledgfe, do a 7302 and teach, it won't work like that due
to the narrow minded ness of the people who run the courses,   we can
here, but as soon as you add the other factors it becomes  no go area
for geeks.

not just a 7302 + Maths and English at Level 2,  if we are to educate
the masses do we even need teachers we should create online education
for free,  if that was developed or needs to be developed FIRST, take a
look at alison.com, what we need there is a few basic to advanced
courses  on using Linux on the desktop,  hey there isn't much on using
apple desktops so what chance have we got.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.