[ubuntu-uk] 13.04 behaves differently...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 20:37:06 UTC 2013

On 26 February 2013 15:32, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler at tolaris.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-26 14:48, Paula Graham wrote:
>> Agree, hated Unity at first (and there's still things about it,
>> especially lack of customisability) that are annoying) but now that it
>> actually works properly - and looks so nice on 13.04 ...
>
> One question: can you raise a window while dragging an object? After our
> internal user revolt (yes, an actual revolt insisting on a return to a
> desktop "like Maverick"), we moved to Linux Mint and I haven't seen Unity
> since.
>
> This didn't work as of Unity in 12.04:
>
> 1. Maximise Thunderbird
> 2. Compose a message
> 3. Switch back to the main Thunderbird window
> 4. Drag a message to the compose window, attempting to forward it as an
> attachment
>
> In Gnome 2, Cinnamon, and KDE, dragging an object to a task bar entry will
> will raise that window. In Unity, it tries to pin the app to the launcher.
> There is no way to drag something to a lowered window.
>
> The only way to forward messages in the way I describe above is to
> unmaximise Thunderbird, then position the message list and compose window
> side by side. This kind of defeats the purpose of working with maximised
> apps. *
>
> * Yes, there are more cumbersome ways to do this in Thunderbird, but my
> point is not being able to drag objects to apps in the background.

I am having great difficulty envisioning the process you are
describing here. In 28 years of using email, some 20 years of it using
GUI apps, I have never done anything like this, heard of it before,
seen anything like it done by anyone else.

So I am afraid I am going to venture to say that, no, you can't do
that, no, you never will be able to do it again, and that if you want
to forward messages you do the following:

#1 For a single message: select it, pick "forward"

#2 For a group of messages: block-highlight them, pick "forward"

That's what, well, everyone I have ever seen using email in my life
does. Drag and dropping messages onto an app icon? I am sorry, but
WTAF? No!

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884