[ubuntu-uk] 13.04 behaves differently...

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Tue Feb 26 15:32:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-26 14:48, Paula Graham wrote:
> Agree, hated Unity at first (and there's still things about it,
> especially lack of customisability) that are annoying) but now that it
> actually works properly - and looks so nice on 13.04 ...

One question: can you raise a window while dragging an object? After our
internal user revolt (yes, an actual revolt insisting on a return to a
desktop "like Maverick"), we moved to Linux Mint and I haven't seen Unity
since.

This didn't work as of Unity in 12.04:

1. Maximise Thunderbird
2. Compose a message
3. Switch back to the main Thunderbird window
4. Drag a message to the compose window, attempting to forward it as an
attachment

In Gnome 2, Cinnamon, and KDE, dragging an object to a task bar entry will
will raise that window. In Unity, it tries to pin the app to the launcher.
There is no way to drag something to a lowered window.

The only way to forward messages in the way I describe above is to
unmaximise Thunderbird, then position the message list and compose window
side by side. This kind of defeats the purpose of working with maximised
apps. *

* Yes, there are more cumbersome ways to do this in Thunderbird, but my
point is not being able to drag objects to apps in the background.

Regards,
Tyler

--
""Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong,
which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be