[ubuntu-uk] Advent Touch Print printer ....

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:38:45 UTC 2013

On 12/04/13 13:27, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 11/04/13 16:52, Jones, Victor wrote:
>>> I'm really pleased with everything except the lack of help with Linux.
>>> PC World completely stonewall questions about Linux, and the Kodak
>>> website is less than helpful.  After a lot of research on the
>>> internet, I have got
>>> the printer up and running OK and as I say, I am pleased with it.
>> That sounds like a perfect example of why manufactures and vendors
>> don't provide better support for linux.  They basically tell us up
>> front that they don't support linux, then people go ahead and give
>> them their money regardless.
>> Whenever I'm looking at buying hardware, I check for linux
>> compatibility first.  I'll often also email manufacturers directly to
>> let them know I am about to make a purchase and ask if they support
>> linux, just to raise awareness that they may be loosing sales.  I
>> appreciate the debugging info to get it working, however we'd be
>> better off in the long term if we used our money to support those who
>> do provide (at least some level of) linux support.
>
> Hi there ...   Oh, I agree entirely.  My other printer is a Brother, and
> is supported moderately well - although it is a bit of a pain to install
> the drivers even with a shell script I have written.  Good printer though.
>
> The new Advent printer is excellent - apart from support.  Obviously I
> have written a strong letter about this to PC World customer support.  I
> don't expect a result, but maybe if enough of us complain to them, they
> might listen!  I suspect that companies such as PC World will have to
> change policy now that there is a big decline in Desktop computing in
> favour of tablets.  Android now seems to be very much on the increase
> and if nothing else, it is Linux based  ....  We'll just have to wait
> and see.
>
> As for research prior to making a purchase, I normally do this very
> thoroughly - this was why I went to PC World expecting to come out with
> an HP printer that is properly supported.  The rest of the story was
> more impulse than reason ....   Shame on me!  Next time, I will be
> buying on the internet rather than from a store.
>
> Regards,        Barry.

It's interesting that you mention a shell script there, because I have
become very fond of my Compaq laptop, even though every time it gets a
kernel update I have to reinstall the wireless driver, and I have been
thinking that it ought to be possible to automate the reinstallation.
This is as far as I can think it through: at each startup the script
should check whether wireless is running, and if not it should grab the
driver package (kept in the home folder), and do make, make install, and
modprobe on it. How easy would that be?