[ubuntu-uk] Advent Touch Print printer ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri Apr 12 13:44:20 UTC 2013

On 12/04/13 13:38, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> On 12/04/13 13:27, Barry Drake wrote:
>> Oh, I agree entirely.  My other printer is a Brother, and
>> is supported moderately well - although it is a bit of a pain to install
>> the drivers even with a shell script I have written.  Good printer
>> though.
>>
> It's interesting that you mention a shell script there, because I have
> become very fond of my Compaq laptop, even though every time it gets a
> kernel update I have to reinstall the wireless driver, and I have been
> thinking that it ought to be possible to automate the reinstallation.
> This is as far as I can think it through: at each startup the script
> should check whether wireless is running, and if not it should grab
> the driver package (kept in the home folder), and do make, make
> install, and modprobe on it. How easy would that be?

I don't know how to detect wireless, but it is probably
straightforward.  I guess there is a return code from ping that could be
tested something like: if (ping xyz==-1) ....
But the rest of the script would simply be the steps you take manually.
My Brother installer script contains a whole lot of steps like creating
directories and copying files as well as the installation of four
separate deb packages.  I have to run it after every upgrade - thus
twice a year.  The script has saved me a lot of effort.

Regards,        Barry.