[ubuntu-uk] Advent Touch Print printer ....

Jones, Victor Victor.Jones at flightsafety.com
Thu Apr 11 15:52:39 UTC 2013

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:00:48 +0100
> From: Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com>
> To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Advent Touch Print printer ....
>
> My wife needed a new printer.  I went in to PC World intending to get an HP
> Deskjet 2510 all-in-one printer.  The Nottingham branch of PC World doesn't
> stock it, and showed me instead an Advent Touch Print printer as this was
> the same low price - ?30.
>
> I'm really pleased with everything except the lack of help with Linux.
> PC World completely stonewall questions about Linux, and the Kodak
> website is less than helpful.  After a lot of research on the internet, I have got
> the printer up and running OK and as I say, I am pleased with it.
>
> If anyone wants to try, I had to do the following:
> Add as USB printer - use Kodak ESP C310 driver.
> Add as network printer - look up network address on printer menu -
> probably 192.168.2.11 - use Kodak ESP C310 driver.
>
> Setting up to use scanner.  Scanner does not seem to be recognised as a USB
> device.  Edit /etc/sane.d/kodakaio.conf as follows:
>
> comment out the line net autodiscovery as it doesn't find the scanner.
>
> Add the line net 192.168.2.11 0x4041 and the scanner will be located.
>
> It also works as a cloud printer and it prints from my netbook, laptop and
> phone so really versatile.  Nice quality.  But I wish folk were just a bit more
> helpful when I want to use Linux.
>
> Regards,        Barry.

That sounds like a perfect example of why manufactures and vendors don't provide better support for linux.  They basically tell us up front that they don't support linux, then people go ahead and give them their money regardless.

Whenever I'm looking at buying hardware, I check for linux compatibility first.  I'll often also email manufacturers directly to let them know I am about to make a purchase and ask if they support linux, just to raise awareness that they may be loosing sales.

I appreciate the debugging info to get it working, however we'd be better off in the long term if we used our money to support those who do provide (at least some level of) linux support.
Victor