[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 12.10: advertising lenses

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 25 09:38:34 UTC 2012

On 25/09/12 09:33, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> Why is there no full Transparancy about this -the more i dig the more comes out...

In a situation where there is no transparency then the more you dig
nothing more comes out. What you are experiencing *is* transparency,
where the more you dig the more you find out.

read the source (you do not need to understand vala to be able to read it):
https://code.launchpad.net/unity-lens-shopping
https://code.launchpad.net/unity-lens-music  (not new, but works exactly
the same way as shopping)
https://code.launchpad.net/~unity-lens-videos  (not new, but works
almost exactly the same way as shopping)

here is the self documenting web service they proxy through
http://productsearch.ubuntu.com/
in which you can find much transparency:
http://productsearch.ubuntu.com/v1/search?q=transparency

This is how lenses and scopes relate to each other
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Lenses

That documentation includes information on default searches and how lens
specific searches and the global search results are formed. The only
thing that I do not think has published and transparent source code is
the web service.

Alan

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk