[ubuntu-uk] off topic (apologies)

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:09:19 UTC 2012

On 8 October 2012 13:58, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> I have never used this list before for a subject which is not related to
> Ubuntu but I cannot think where else to go. I would like to hear from any
> one who gets their broadband supplied by wireless (radio). My supply is by
> wireless because there is no reasonable supply any other way and I am unable
> to open ports on my router by port forwarding. What I am anxious to know is
> whether this is due to the method of supply or something else. Please, can
> any one help as the broadband supplier seems unable to do so?

When you say it is by wireless do you mean that you are effectively
sharing a wifi link with others, or is more sophisticated than that?
If you are sharing a wifi link then it is the wifi base station that
would have to have the port opened to your machine.

If it is not shared wifi then can you give us more details of how it
works?  Who is the supplier?

They may be alternatives to achieve what you want to without opening
ports.  What do you need the ports opened for?

Colin