[ubuntu-uk] Good general book on Ubuntu/Linux?

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Oct 6 22:19:07 UTC 2012

On 6 October 2012 20:09, Ronnie Tucker <ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk> wrote:

> Tiz a bit harsh to judge all 65 issues on one particular article...

I was not doing so, I was merely saying that as the person was asking for
concise advice on Ubuntu/Linux this might not be the best place to go as
that article was completely useless for anything but the contributor's
self-indulgence in comic book humour.

There are many reasons why people should use the command line.  It could
have been an interesting article, particularly since it took up three pages
of your "magazine", yet I learned nothing from it at all.

And I have never had any reason to open Firefox from a command line simply
in order that if I close the command line window it'll close too - why
would anybody?

For your information if you do open Firefox from a command line you can get
quite valuable debug information - that'd have been a more useful thing for
your contributor to say.   But closing the command line window and Firefox
closing too - does he think that's "clever"?!

> The article was generated using a new terminal command that was recently
> introduced. It's called humour. That particular column is meant to be
> light-hearted and not taken so seriously. It clearly states that it will
> explain things to you as though you're a five-year old.

It might be useful to actually find something to explain then...  I'd be
very happy to learn something in a light-hearted 5-year-old way... but that
was just complete claptrap.  And, as I said, not much use to somebody who
actually wanted to LEARN something about Ubuntu/Linux.

> Also, if more people wrote articles I'd have a bigger pool to choose from.
> [hint hint folks]  :)

Sounds a good idea... if I can write anything when I've got less on I
shall... you are welcome to say "sod off, you're the bastard that upset my
humorous contributor, take your contribution elsewhere"...   I merely say
what I see.

Sean