[ubuntu-uk] Changing duplicate RAID UUID

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Sat Oct 6 14:19:59 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-05 18:13, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Aha, my Google FU has returned :) For anyone curious about the answer it was:
>
> tune2fs /dev/md8 -U random
>
> to assign a random new UUID to /dev/md8

That is the filesystem UUID, which yes, can be changed with tune2fs. You
can also change the swap UUID with "mkswap -U". Technically this makes a
new swap, but that doesn't matter.

An MD raid array also has a UUID, which is used for assembling the array.
What is inside that array (such as your filesystem) is another matter. See
the mdadm man page for changing that, and only if you know what you are doing.

> Sorry for the list noise!!

Not at all. Somebody has learned from this. :)

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Human subcultures are nested fractally. There's no bottom."
   -- Randal Munrow, http://xkcd.com/1095/