[ubuntu-uk] from 10.04 to 12.04 (was HUD vs gnome do)

Andres Muniz andresmp at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:20:13 UTC 2012

----- Mensaje original -----

> On 17/05/12 10:33, paul sutton wrote:
> > I had gnome do,   never got it,     it just displayed a huge icon bar
> > on the screen,   so at least with HUD,   it does something,   from the
> > start.
> >

> GNOME Do seems more like the Unity Dash (or vice versa really). Press
> a button and then type what you want to open.

Thanks guys! I now get it! Had a play looks great(if a bit slow)

I just went from 10.04 to 12.04 using command line "do-upgrade -d " or something similar. i did not know i had to wait until july for LTS to LTS upgrade. I had some windows pop up during installation with empty rectangles instead of text pop up I guessed i was accepting and it continued to install ok.

It now has 12.04 it seems to have defaulted to unity 2d just fine (no graphics card). It's a bit slower  (the laptop is dual core but only <512ram) but i hope the owner will not mind. Upgrade took less than 3hrs.

I hope to show off new OS some time this weekend in a cafe. I'm sure  all will go  well! I just have to manage not to drop coffee.