[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 has locked me out of my account

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:33:17 UTC 2012

On 03/05/12 13:35, Barry Drake wrote:

> > The time I've been spending on the Ubuntu answers team has shown me
> > that all kinds of nasties are occurring after an upgrade.  In
> > nearly every case, a clean install has been the best answer.
>
> I find this response very frustrating. It's not only inaccurate but it
> means we'll never get to the bottom of the problem, so can never find
> out how to fix it.
>
> If everyone just re-installed the OS whenever the wind changed
> direction we'd end up with a significantly worse OS as a result. When
> everyone keeps telling everyone else to reinstall, we end up with the
> state that Windows is in. Everyone thinks that's the solution, and it
> isn't, by some margin.
>
> Thank you for that Alan, that's exactly why I'm persisting. I'm building a
knowledgebase to allow me to fix such issues for my customers as
efficiently as possible.

Here's an interesting one. I've logged in as a guest and been able to
create a new account. I have renamed my home folder and used the new
account to copy the contents of it's home folder into a new home folder for
the old account. It still doesn't work so I now have one working admin
account and the original still broken one which doesn't appear to be a
config file issue.