[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:36:49 UTC 2012

Hi
It's been interesting to read about Canonical's ideas for the future of Ubuntu; in particular its use as an OS for tablets and other mobile devices. It strikes me that some of this vision is undermined by the implications of the "Secure Boot" functionality being specified by Microsoft on ARM processors as a pre-requisite to achieve "Windows 8 Compatible" status.
A lot of the up-coming tablets are going to be using ARM chips, so unless the Microsoft requirement is modified, or manufacturers choose to ignore it, the Canonical vision seems to be flawed. Or am I missing something?
Regards
Nige