[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Mar 7 11:28:55 UTC 2012

On 07/03/12 10:36, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi
>
> It's been interesting to read about Canonical's ideas for the future
> of Ubuntu; in particular its use as an OS for tablets and other mobile
> devices. It strikes me that some of this vision is undermined by the
> implications of the "Secure Boot" functionality being specified by
> Microsoft on ARM processors as a pre-requisite to achieve "Windows 8
> Compatible" status.
>
> A lot of the up-coming tablets are going to be using ARM chips, so
> unless the Microsoft requirement is modified, or manufacturers choose
> to ignore it, the Canonical vision seems to be flawed. Or am I missing
> something?
>
> Regards
>
> Nige

Well there is the raspberry PI, which is an arm based system, I wonder
if canonical can work with broadcom / rasp PI foundation and come up
with something that way, as in build a specific tablet device for
this,   In fact the raspberry Pi  (type motherboard) + suitable case +
screen should do the trick,  let MS do their secure boot thing,  we
don't need it, we certainly don't need the restrictions this will come
with,  oh specific hardware,  fully closed linux can't run, its not just
the secure boot we need to contend with.   Offer a REAL alternative,
that is designed FOR ubuntu / LInux and we should be far better off.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com

skype : psutton111