[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: [SFD-announce] SFD 2012 registration is now LIVE!

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Mon Jun 25 19:25:51 UTC 2012

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SFD-announce] SFD 2012 registration is now LIVE!
Date: 	Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:05:03 +0800
From: 	Frederic Muller - SFI <fred at softwarefreedomday.org>
To: 	SFD announcements <sfd-announce at sf-day.org>, Open discussions about
SFD <sfd-discuss at sf-day.org>

Dear all,

It is with a great pleasure that we are opening registration for SFD
2012. In fact some of you have already started to create your wiki
pages and even registered. As usual we will be available for support
through email on sfd-discuss or on IRC (#SFD on freenode).

There will be a few changes this year as Canonical will no longer be
providing Ubuntu CDs to teams. Canonical however remains a sponsor of
the event, they are just terminating the ship-it program to SFD teams.
We are in discussion with other distributions to see if we can get
something similar running but our hopes are not very high because of
the logistic and costs involved. We will keep you informed if anything
happens on that front.

So we are currently planning to produce team packs for 200 teams based
on the funds raised. The packs will be delivered to teams that
registered on or before July 15th on a first come first served basis.
Simply create your team page under
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2012 (/country/city for most) and
complete the form on
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/cgi-bin/register.py. All information
and links are of course available from SFD website.

As usual artworks are available under
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/Artwork and CC-BY licensed. Feel
free to use, enhanced and eventually localize them.

I want to particularly thank our sponsors who are making this
possible, namely Canonical, Google, and Linode for the time being.
Should your organization be interested to sponsor DFI to be able to
send more goodies please get in touch with us. Note that there is a
deadline to be listed on the magazine ads we run with our media
sponsors, Linux Magazine, Ubuntu user, Admin, Smart developer and
Linux Journal, which is around mid July.

Also be reminded that there are still 2 weeks to submit a proposal to
co-host your SFD event with us. We have been thinking that doing it
one or two weeks after the official SFD date could make sense and
enable to fly in some contributors from our global community. Full
announcement can be found on
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/SfdSummit .

SFD countdown is available much earlier this year, so please do use
it. We currently have 2 languages available (English and Catalan) but
hopefully more will come very soon. Check
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/CountDown for instructions.

Do subscribe to the discuss mailing list[1] if you haven't yet, read
SFD Planet[2], read our blog[3] and tweets[5] to keep posted (or RSS
feed[4] to them), and don't forget to submit your own BLOG to be added
to the SFD planet if you participate in SFD this year (and blog about
FOSS...).

So let's get started and happy SFD preparations!

The DFI Board

ps: do check the SFD 2011 winners for inspiration and thanks again to
Lemote and FSF for the prizes.
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/en/competition/winners-2011

[2]: http://planet.softwarefreedomday.org (language specific planets
available through the language switcher)
[3]: http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/en/blog
[4]: http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/en/blog?format=feed&type=rss
[5]: http://identi.ca/dfi/