[ubuntu-uk] Help please

kpb kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk
Sun Jun 10 17:48:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:52:12 +0100
Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:

> On 10/06/2012 14:44, John Davis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am sorry this is not Ubuntu related but could any offer some help
> > for a novice web site builder ?

> Hi John,
>
> Do you have an URL we can visit and check?

Hello All

Good advice above.

Just an idea for anyone getting their head around Web pages...

I've been using a dropbox.com free account as a testing system for Web pages with _relative_ links.

Install the dropbox software (nautilus-dropbox on Ubuntu or dropbox.exe on Windows) and you get a new folder called Dropbox in your home drive / user directory.

Just pop your pages and images (usually in a sub folder) into the Public folder of the dropbox folder. On your PC/Ubuntu box, right click over the index.html then click on the Dropbox item, then Copy Public Link.

Paste that lot into a Web browser and you can check the _relative_ links, and you can show us if you get lost.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/thinkpad-x200s-ubuntu1204.html

Above is a page in progress (I'll finish it tomorrow afternoon as I have a huge gap between sessions).