[ubuntu-uk] Forgotten password for log in....

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:30:53 UTC 2012

On 10 June 2012 15:05, scoundrel50a <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I cant remember my log in password for one my computers and tried all
> sorts of different passwords, but to no avail. I even tried following this
>
> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
>
> but get to selecting root, and that is where things are different, on the
> page it allows you to enter this 'mount -0 rw, remount /' but mne doesnt it
> asks for a root password, and I cant go any further....is there a command
> via the terminal to change the password?

That shouldn't be happening if you're booting into single user mode. You
are effectively root on the console. It suggests that the disk is mounting
read-only and needs checking.

The other option is to boot from a live CD or USB, mount the drive in much
the same way, and unset the root password by editing /etc/shadow on the
mounted disk and removing the string in the password field.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"