[ubuntu-uk] heads up - Secure Boot Problems for Linux Users Are Here Already

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 13:41:18 UTC 2012

On 08/06/12 14:21, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 02/06/12 14:06, Nigel Verity wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> If anybody can get a key from Verisign for $99 that makes a
>> mockery of having secure boot in the first place.
> no, that isn't how it works at all. It is possible for some people
> to get a binary signed by Microsoft by paying $99 which goes to
> verisign. You don't get the key and it isn't clear who can do it
> and what binaries will get signed.
>
>> We can take it as read that there are long term plans by
>> Microsoft to tighten up the secure boot spec in the future in
>> their favour.
> yup, on ARM. Devices running Windows 8 on ARM will be pre-bricked
> at the factory.
>>
>> To my mind, this first pass is just to establish the principle
>> and getting all OEMs to adopt the spec. Making keys readily
>> available will help MS to respond to legal challenges from
>> non-tech savvy legislators.
>>
> Possibly. I would imagine they are expecting and preparing for
> antitrust action. As a slightly pedantic point, legislators don't
> tend to make legal challenges.
>> I suspect that the secure boot technology will be hacked pretty
>> quickly enabling we enthusiasts to stay up and running. Having
>> to apply a hack as a fundamental part of Linux installation will
>> not exactly help with promoting wider adoption, though.
>>
> disabling it on Intel isn't a hack, it would be a checkbox option
> in the place you currently call the BIOS. ARM would require a
> hack.
>> Regards

But only devices Running Windows, those running android linux etc by
default would have the switch disabled which to my mind means that
Microsoft will basically try and undercut everyone and then you are
stuck with a device that can only ever have Windows on it.

However I can see Microsoft actually losing out here, they are already
the minority share in the phone market, they are worse off still in
the tablet market and with the release of ICS and the Latest Ios
offering will be further behind again.

- --
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)