[ubuntu-uk] heads up - Secure Boot Problems for Linux Users Are Here Already

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 2 13:06:33 UTC 2012

Hi All
If anybody can get a key from Verisign for $99 that makes a mockery of having secure boot in the first place. We can take it as read that there are long term plans by Microsoft to tighten up the secure boot spec in the future in their favour.
To my mind, this first pass is just to establish the principle and getting all OEMs to adopt the spec. Making keys readily available will help MS to respond to legal challenges from non-tech savvy legislators.
I suspect that the secure boot technology will be hacked pretty quickly enabling we enthusiasts to stay up and running. Having to apply a hack as a fundamental part of Linux installation will not exactly help with promoting wider adoption, though.
Regards
Nige