[ubuntu-uk] Netflix and Love Film

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:46:07 UTC 2012

On 23/08/12 11:39, Andy Partington wrote:
> <snip>
>> Kind of defeats then object of running Ubuntu, if you have to install
>> windows doesnt it......is it something that might happen in the future, or
>> is it not going to happen.......
>>
> </snip>
>
> It's down to the hosts though, Lovefilm and Netflix, I know on one of
> the sites ( Lovefilm i believe ) it was one of the most requested
> features last year to bring it to XBMC on linux but I think the
> response was not at this time.
>
> Its the main reason why I use neither of the services at the moment as
> I solely use *nix on my media centres and thus can't use there
> services.
>
> Andy

In my opinion we've seen a massive shift in how Linux is perceived since
I started using it in 2006. When I first installed Feisty nothing
worked, a week of banging my head against the screen might bring me
sound and webcam, just look at it now. We've seen the recent work with
games, the humble bundle, steam and carmageddon's new release being
native to us too. I'd say it's only a matter of time before these
services have to cave and come over, which will be a big win for us, as
Andy says there are people who don't use them because they use Linux. I
also know there are people who don't use Linux because they can't use them.