[ubuntu-uk] Netflix and Love Film

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Thu Aug 23 11:06:07 UTC 2012

On 23/08/12 11:45, Andy Partington wrote:
> - We currently provide the LOVEFiLM Video on Demand service on various
> models of Samsung and Sony TV and Blu-Ray players
> Why would I want to go and replace my brand new HD TV jsut so I could
> stream movies from pre selected outlets? This is a waste of my money,
> adds senseless waste and extremely short sighted.

People replace their HD TV with "Smart TV" for a number of reasons, not
just to get that one app. Putting NetFlix, Youtube etc onboard is a
'value-add' for the manufacturer.

I have an HDTV in my lounge and will likely replace it when an Ubuntu TV
comes out because mine is 'only' 720p and I'd quite like a 1080p one,
plus mine is plasma (power hungry) and large and ugly. So it's not just
about whether it has netflix or not which influences the buying decision.

> - We are looking to expand the number of devices in the future, but
> only for devices or platforms we have a direct commercial relationship
> with
>
> This was two + years ago.
>
> http://developer.lovefilm.com/forum/read/82486/1

So no new players on the market in those 2 years, makes sense. There's
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft with their consoles and a wealth of TV and
set-top-box manufacturers, but not many new ones. Google Chrome OS is
probably the newest along with a few smaller far-east upcoming TV
manufacturers.

They one day maybe there will be Ubuntu TV with commercial arrangements
with NetFlix bringing it to our platform?

> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80342
>
> Loads of posts all over about it, and I think some people have had a
> bit of success in getting somethings working but until it's official
> or at least stable I'm not going to pay for it.

Agreed. Me neither.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope