[ubuntu-uk] (Slightly OT) Standalone databases

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu Oct 20 08:23:27 UTC 2011

Bob Giles wrote:
> I want to create a simple database that I can distribute to others
> and was hoping to come up with a solution that just allowed me to
> distribute it as a standalone package in much the same way that MS
> users can with Access. I want it to run under linux. If it was cross
> platform, that would be even better but not essential.

I'm guessing when you say you'd like to distribute the database, you'd
also like to distribute some sort of a user interface to it? Else
SQLite is popular for bundling SQL dbs, and SQLite is available on
basically every platform, or Couchdb seems popular for this NoSQL
thingy.

In any case, if the users will have internet access or similar,  the
easiest way to do it (and probably the only way to get guaranteed
cross-platform) is to use a web interface and host it somewhere they
can all get at.

--
Avi