[ubuntu-uk] Dual boot user does self conversion

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Oct 17 15:58:51 UTC 2011

On 17/10/11 14:12, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>
>> I just received this (now slightly edited) email from an acquaintance
>> who is keen to use FLOSS, and has helped with advocacy,  but who has
>> until now been using dual boot or  just live CD methods - since early
>> 2008. Over three years. This is the sort of time scale I have found to
>> be relevant if a previously committed Windows user with DIY admin
>> confidence but no IT or other technical experience gets interested in
>> Ubuntu.
>>
>> I think this would shorten if a good marketing campaign was run.

> Why? He's been using it for three years already,

How much he has been using it is moot. He has gone to considerable
effort to sometimes help me on displays at my local computer fairs.
But has obviously not wanted to get rid of windows! Even though the
evidence now suggests that he would have been happy to get rid of
Windows sooner.

> so has presumably
> known about it for at least that long. If the intention is to have
> dual-boot users no longer see the need for Windows,

I can wish

>then the solution
> is surely to have Ubuntu do whatever it is that they're reliant on
> Windows for quicker?

The primary situation is as you describe, he has known about it. But
the secondary situation - that of how he felt as an unconfident,
somewhat isolated user, with neighbours and family (and almost
everybody) doing something else, is one in which an average, ordinary
PC user is reluctant (I believe frightened) to let go of the system
they know longest, have gone through hoops for, have agonised over so
they think they know its ways. This is a bitter sweet comfort, and
users know it is not safe, but they are not confident to make a real
*change*. It takes an epic event to prompt them to decide to commit to
a new product. In this case it was a major failure - no choice. This
user is happy to have made the change, and is rejoicing but would
simply not have done this 'willingly'.

This is where marketing comes in.

Inform of the product initially,

then create an eager need for the product, usually by massive
advertising or creating a big positive social buzz, which surmounts
factors causing reluctance to act (fear, uncertainty doubt....)

then supply the endless queue of customers, and support etc.

As an occasional friend of his, I was not, single handed, in a
position of enough influence to have been able to prompt  his decision
any time earlier. But a wider eco system of 'popular' (higher profile)
users would have done this I believe. Marketing.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user