[ubuntu-uk] Gwibber 3.2.1 and Ubuntu 11.10

Juan J. Martínez reidrac at usebox.net
Wed Nov 9 12:02:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 11:38 +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 09/11/11 11:23, Juan J. Martínez wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm very frustrated with the Gwibber version included in Ubuntu 11.10.
> >
> > It's not only that has more bugs than the version shipped in 11.04
> > (which had bugs, but it was easier to not step over them), but the UI
> > and the functionality have changed and now it's useless for me (I want
> > the tabs back!).
> what are the bug numbers? Patches are welcome, bzr branch lp:gwibber and
> have a play with it.

I wouldn't know where to start, it's a total mess :) It doesn't feel
like an upgrade but a downgrade (seriously, we are back to pre 1.0
functionality).

To be honest, I don't think Gwibber is worth the effort. That
application gets completely rebuilt every now and then, so any time
invested on it feels like wasted time to me. I can provide you bug
numbers for the 2.x series, that never got fixed because the application
was redesigned/rebuilt.

We had a mostly functional Twitter/Identica client before upgrading to
11.10, and now we don't. I don't choose the default applications that
get installed (even on upgrades) and I can live with that, but I'd love
that they work!

> > My question is, being as integrated in Unity as it is, is it viable to
> > replace it with a different client?
> you can certainly remove the gwibber accounts you have (or just leave
> them), and add a different client, but some other clients might not be
> as integrated.

It looks like the best solution: remove the accounts and set the gwibber
service to not start at login. Thanks for the tip!

Integration it's nice when you integrate something that actually
works :)

> > For example, http://www.hotot.org/ looks great; but I don't know if I
> > can get rid of Gwibber cleanly or if there will be some "remains" (I
> > don't use Thunderbird, but I couldn't get rid of it in the indicator).
> I really wouldn't bother getting rid of gwibber, doing that would
> probably remove the ubuntu-desktop package, which isn't ideal long term
> because it won't pull in any new packages on an upgrade without that.

I see. And the same thing happens with Banshee and Thunderbid (I don't
use any of them and both got installed after the upgrade, not happy).

Again, thanks for the tip!

Regards,

Juan