[ubuntu-uk] Empathy and 11.04

gazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Mon May 16 15:56:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 16:45 +0100, Matthew Daubney wrote:

> On 16 May 2011 16:27, Jon Farmer <jon at bctech.co.uk> wrote:
>
>         On 16 May 2011 15:48, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>         > On 16 May 2011 15:44, Jon Farmer <jon at bctech.co.uk> wrote:
>

>         > Easiest way to try is move your finger forward and back
>         along the
>         > right hand edge when in a scrollable window.
>

>         So apparently I do. Still a major PITA to use with Empathy
>         though. A
>         total loss of fine control.
>

>         Regards
>
>         Jon
>

> I'd argue the point on the loss of fine control, you can still drag
> those little arrows up and down to get to where you want in a
> document, rather than just clicking on them to go up/down. The only
> thing that's a bit more difficult is clicking to go direct to a point
> (feels like the gutter has a smaller margin, but that may be wrong).
>
> But then again, different people use things in different ways.
>
> -Matt Daubney

Touchpad scrolling is a blunt instrument - for which reason I rarely use
it. I have two-finger scrolling on the wifi KB I use for media which is
much better, but don't have it on my laptop. I almost never use the
little arrows, I used to click on the gutter to advance page by page -
thank God Firefox still has the gutter!

Also agree, people use these things in different ways and I can see
you'd like it if you mainly use the arrows - although I find the arrows
are less accurate than before.

Choice is a wonderful thing but I don't see any way of exercising it re.
the vertical scrollbar in 11.04. I've ditched Unity interface, can't
cope with it - for something that's supposed to be easy to use, I
actually found I reverted almost entirely to keyboard shortcuts as the
Unity GUI is hopeless for navigating a desktop with multiple windows.
Also had to switch off the infuriating habit of full-screening windows
if you drag them to the side. If I drag a window to the side, it's cos I
want to see what's underneath!

Paula