[ubuntu-uk] Stuff appearing in Terminal, I dont know what it is......

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Sun Mar 6 16:53:01 UTC 2011

On 06/03/11 14:24, John MM wrote:
> On 06/03/11 13:11, Alan Bell wrote:
>> top tip, when asking questions on IRC, stick around for more than a
>> few minutes to get an answer!
>>
>> Alan.
>
> Thank you for the tip, but do have any thing more than that to offer?
> I really appreciate the tip, but it would be helpful to get a little
> bit more than this type of comment all the time, then you just
> dissappear.
I was having lunch. It is a real time medium, very very useful for
interactively working through the kind of situation you have ended up in
(which looks like a problem in the virtualbox packaging to me, possibly
historic) but for it to work you have to stick around for a few hours. I
would be interested in the contents of /var/lib/dpkg/available around
lines 46354 and 48216, might be possible to just edit those lines and
remove the now-invalid revision number in the superceeded packages you
have referenced in that file.

nstallArchives() failed: warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near
line 46354 package 'virtualbox-3.0':
error in Version string '3.0.14-58977_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid character
in revision number
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 48216 package
'virtualbox-2.2':
error in Version string '2.2.4-47978_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid character
in revision number