[ubuntu-uk] public services

john beddard john at kernelnetworks.com
Sun Jun 26 14:39:08 UTC 2011

Well Alan,

Just using my own situation as a simple template.

I would like to focus on a small local area such as the town Darlington.
Darlington is a good choice because it has good railway links to other
areas.

1. Start a promotional blitz in the area lasting say 4 weeks. Including
   Unis, Colleges, libraries and basically anyone who may be interested.
   Just highlighting Ubuntu.

2. Meet up with the local regeneration team with pointing out the
   possibility to attract a new exciting technology to the area. That
   can involve the community and save small business-including social
   enterprises- start-up companies a lot in IT costs. Asking the Council
   if they have any suitable venues and free shop fronts. Then ask if
   they would also like to attend any event or LoCo meetings : they
   always do anyway.

3. Do the same in local business clubs. In the clubs I have been to so
   far I thought that I would have to explain all about open-source and
   Ubuntu. It turned that people were already 'savvy' and some were
   already using Ubuntu. Further north in Newcastle, RedHat already have
   a support office.

4. Then go back to stage one advertising actual dates and for events and
   a possible first LoCo Meet up.

John