[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Fri Jun 24 20:19:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 10:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> As a team we do "stuff" for the Ubuntu. Most of this stuff is based on
> ideas a few people have had within the team. This includes:-
>
> * Support
> * Advocacy
> * Promotion
> * Events
>
> I figured it's time to get some fresh ideas.
>
> So, simple question:-
>
> "As a team, what should we be doing within the UK?"
>
> What would be really good is to just brainstorm, get a bunch of ideas,
> NOT debate each one into the ground, just come up with ideas, the
> details can follow later.
>
> Here's my starter for 10.
>
> "UK Team should seek monetary sponsorship from companies and
> individuals, and invest that sponsorship money in Ubuntu related
> projects and events in the UK"
>
> Your turn.
>
> Al.

1. Get the Ubuntu name and product known to the general public by having
stalls/displays at any public event: fêtes, fairs etc, not just tech
specific.

2. Have a supply of pre-loaded laptops (recycled or donated) that can be
loaned to people who express an interest, for up to a month at a time.
Follow up with help for the full install. This way people can try in
safety and at full speed compared with a live CD.

Barry T