[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 19:09:39 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 10:11, Alan Pope wrote:
> As a team we do "stuff" for the Ubuntu. Most of this stuff is based on
> ideas a few people have had within the team. This includes:-
>
> * Support
> * Advocacy
> * Promotion
> * Events
>
> I figured it's time to get some fresh ideas.
>
> So, simple question:-
>
> "As a team, what should we be doing within the UK?"
>
> What would be really good is to just brainstorm, get a bunch of ideas,
> NOT debate each one into the ground, just come up with ideas, the
> details can follow later.

<snip>

> Your turn.

Maybe contact local companies and see if they are upgrading machines and
if they could possibly donate old computers which could be then passed
onto local community centres or community groups.

I am involved with something along these lines at the moment, we managed
to get some old machines donated and got funding from a local charitable
trust to pay for a server and we installed an LTSP server and clients
running Ubuntu at a community centre.  Now the guy running the community
centre has managed to secure some old laptops from a local IT company
and we're refurbishing them and selling them on at a low cost for folks
in the area.  The machines are running Linux Mint, but we're spreading
the word about FLOSS, and getting shot of a copy of Windows every time :-)

I'm sure there are probably non-profit groups and community centres
across the country who might welcome an old PC for basic Internet use,
or even maybe places like nurseries who might be interested in an old PC
to run things like TuxPaint, GCompris, TuxTyping etc.

In addition to this, maybe residents near community centres might be
interested in basic computer tuition, or a computer club for folks to
meet up at (maybe not just limited to Ubuntu, this is what the Exwick
Computer Club has done to introduce people from Windows and Mac
background to Ubuntu etc).

Rob