[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Jun 24 18:24:15 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 10:11, Alan Pope wrote:
> As a team we do "stuff" for the Ubuntu. Most of this stuff is based on
> ideas a few people have had within the team. This includes:-
>
> * Support
> * Advocacy
> * Promotion
> * Events
>
> I figured it's time to get some fresh ideas.
>
> So, simple question:-
>
> "As a team, what should we be doing within the UK?"
>
> What would be really good is to just brainstorm, get a bunch of ideas,
> NOT debate each one into the ground, just come up with ideas, the
> details can follow later.
>
> Here's my starter for 10.
>
> "UK Team should seek monetary sponsorship from companies and
> individuals, and invest that sponsorship money in Ubuntu related
> projects and events in the UK"
>
> Your turn.
>
> Al.

I am trying to do what I can here in Paignton.

1. A while back I found a simple flyer / poster purple background but
this had no url on for ubuntu so I added one

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3356122/poster-01.png

this seems to be a common problem a nice poster but it lacks something
really obvious like a web url.

2. Banners

On their own these are expensive, we could do with some banners with the
ubuntu logo thing on and a website.  These can then be put up all over
the UK if they can be sourced cheaply.  However I can't afford to do
this.  (see 3)

3. The south wesd loca team seems to be pretty redundant,  Is anyone out
there willing to help maintain it or should it be just deleted, or have
a link to another website.    Either that or someone needs to commit to
keeping it upto date.

the biggest problem is time and money, I lack the latter and lack the
expertise to use my time in a way to produce any form of decent poster /
flyer let alone come up with wording to appeal to windows users so they
are aware of alternatives.  I just struggle, with it.

there are lots of really nice flyers out there,  however they are either

customised for 1 location
lack basic information like the Ubuntu website (see 1)
lack other useful information which reduces their effectiveness

I think we do a good job we just need to co-ordinate efforts more.

Paul

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info at devonmusiccollective.com for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day