[ubuntu-uk] influence in education

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 16:26:27 UTC 2011

n Tue, 2011-06-21 at 14:04 +0100, Sarah Chard wrote:
> Out here in Herefordshire our next event is 17 sept software freedom
> day
> and we usually target schools and get a few teachers and educators
> through on the day - but I am wondering this year if we can make more
> of
> an effort to get schools and students involved

Well I took my thoughts and some of the comments from this list to our
HLUG software freedom day planning meeting and we have decided to make
education our main focus this year.
We are looking to pilot a project starting with 2 schools (hopefully one
primary and one secondary) to introduce some FOSS software to students
and teachers -using local contacts to make initial approaches to the
schools but letting all the schools in the county know what we are doing
and giving an open invite to our SFD event  -
We are lucky to have one of the Vinux developers as a lug member and he
has rashly offered to create  an ubuntu based disc for primary use and
one for secondary use so that we can run chosen programs from live cd or
msticks.
We plan to do the project in the month following SFD assuming we have
uptake from schools - various LUG members already have CRB checks and
are happy to give up time to develop a project plan and to go into a
school and work with children as well as talk to teachers.
We are in early stages but I thought it was worth letting you all know
our plans - it's a small start but if it works we may be able to get
other schools involved.

Sarah