[ubuntu-uk] Dad's Computer - for want of a better subject

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Jun 22 08:14:06 UTC 2011

On 22 June 2011 08:59, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:

> Jon Reynolds wrote:
>
>> 1. Why on Earth did they choose to put Vista on there??
>>
> Perhaps because a new board supposedly means a new install of Windows and
> you're not supposed to be using XP licenses any more. Perhaps they're also
> tired of supporting an OS that's way past end-of-life.

You sure about that?

I always believed that even an OEM licence was tied to "the machine", but if
you had to replace a motherboard you could still re-install legally.   The
"automatic activation" facilities in XP might tell you too many aspects of
the machine has changed, but a call to Microsoft can resolve that.

Anyway, I wouldn't be inclined to re-install because I changed a motherboard
anyway.  I may have to install new graphics/sound drivers etc. after
changing the mobo (if they were using onboard) but I don't see why a
re-install would be necessary.

Sean