[ubuntu-uk] Which NVIDIA GPU for Natty?

Timothy Rittman tim.rittman at doctors.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 17:15:59 UTC 2011

On 13/06/11 18:11, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 13/06/11 17:27, Philip Newborough wrote:
>> Hello Peeps
>>
>> I have a Dell Studio 540 system with integrated Intel i915(?) graphics
>> controller. The system works well, but I am wondering if it would
>> benefit from an upgrade? I am looking at purchasing an NVIDIA card,
>> but I am somewhat lost as to which one. I am not too bothered about it
>> being the best on the market, I am not a gamer, but I would like it to
>> perform well at HD media playback and possibly recording some
>> screencasts.
>>
>> Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   -- Philip

Rob's suggestion sounds good.

For the record, I'm not a gamer either, but use an NVIDIA 8600GT with
two monitors on a twinview set up. I had quite a few problems setting it
up, but eventually got it working with the proprietary drivers and a lot
of fiddling. I'm happy to give you a few pointers, but it may not be the
best choice for a straight forward set up. It seems other cards work
much easier out of the box. It does work well with HD media.

All the best,

Tim