[ubuntu-uk] Which NVIDIA GPU for Natty?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 17:11:58 UTC 2011

On 13/06/11 17:27, Philip Newborough wrote:
> Hello Peeps
>
> I have a Dell Studio 540 system with integrated Intel i915(?) graphics
> controller. The system works well, but I am wondering if it would
> benefit from an upgrade? I am looking at purchasing an NVIDIA card,
> but I am somewhat lost as to which one. I am not too bothered about it
> being the best on the market, I am not a gamer, but I would like it to
> perform well at HD media playback and possibly recording some
> screencasts.
>
> Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>   -- Philip

Probably the Geforce 210, you can get one here for just under £24 plus
delivery from ebuyer.com:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/240886

(Also includes a Street Fighter 4 download voucher, although I expect
it's probably not much use, but you could always pass it on to someone
who has Windows and plays games).

It should be well supported with the proprietary NVidia driver and it
supports VDPAU for HD video acceleration in mplayer and MythTV.

Actually I didn't realise they were so cheap now, might pick one up for
the kids PC.

Rob