[ubuntu-uk] LAMP SERVER DISTRIBUTIONS

Jim Price d1version at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:15:21 UTC 2011

On 08/06/11 10:39, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are there any distributions that set up a lamp server out of the box
> something similar to this i guess
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lamppix
>
> but lamppix is no longer maintained
>
> it needs to be EASY TO SET UP as in for non linux experts i can do stuff
> but prefer a menu or gui based system. either that or the documentatiobn
> should be well written,
>
> i am sure the old red hat distributions had a screen that allowed users
> to choose the type of system being installed so selecting webserver
> would install that, what would be ideal is being able to choose lamp
> server and apart from a few questions it just gets on with it.

Have a look at this:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack

The GUI admin is done via a web browser, as you wouldn't want a GUI on a
server for a long list of reasons. It's also based on Ubuntu, and there
are a lot more versions than just LAMP. I'd go for the LAPP version
myself, as I prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL.

--
JimP