[ubuntu-uk] Please help with research ...

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Thu Jun 2 07:17:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 20:58 +0100, Barry Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 23:25 +0100, Barry Titterton wrote:
> > Just done a talk for a local computer club. Five of the members took
> > discs to try so I will report back if and when I have any feedback.
>
> Please.  That would be really helpful.  Thanks for thinking about us.
>
> Kind regards,		Barry.
> --
> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

Hi Barry,

Only one of the five has so far had the courage to try their disc
(version 10.10). They are a retired couple that have two computers: a
desktop and a laptop both running Win7. I would class them as having a
beginners level of expertise but are comfortable with their computers.

They had immediate problems as they loaded their disc into their laptop
and expected it to start running straight away, just like any other
software CD. All they saw was the pop-up window asking what they wanted
to do with the disc, the first option being 'install WUBI', so they
panicked and removed the disc. The main problem was that they waited 3
and a half weeks before trying the disc and forgot the verbal
instructions that I gave about having to restart the laptop. The object
lesson from this is to give a leaflet with the CD that has simple
instructions on what to do with the disc.

I visited their home and walked them through getting the disc working.
It should also be noted that they were both unaware of the 'Press F12
For Boot Options' requirement on the laptop. The message only appeared
for a fraction of a second during boot. They both said that without my
help they would have returned the disc unused.

They have said that they liked what they saw of Ubuntu, especially its
simple layout, but they have not been tempted to try a full install.
They did say that they have seen Win7 slow down since its original
install just like the Vista system they had before.

Cheers,

Barry T