[ubuntu-uk] hard disk problem ?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Jul 7 13:15:11 UTC 2011

On 07/07/11 08:11, john beddard wrote:

> Its come to the situation now that whenever we go to local business
> meetings. It is possible to identify the Windows 'wolf-pack' hovering in
> the back-ground, ready to get their teeth into us. LOL! I love these
> situations because I can see the potential for skilfully engaging with
> people.
>
> However last night, after easily engaging in the usual 'Diss List' of
> Ubuntu inadequacy. We got given one 'Diss' that made me think. Baring in
> mind that this is useful for us also. It was this :
>
> "Linux doesn't seem to give a warning message when the hard-disk is
>    full, instead the system seem to die and shut down."

'Linux' might not have, but Ubuntu does. And what is more, although
the User account is usually then stuffed, it is pretty easy to get to
admin privileges to use the - then still available - space allocated
for this sort of function..... to manage the user account mess.
 IIRC th euser message even offers  to move to a function to take
action (view disc usage), although I would tend to get up to admin and
start sweeping.

Notable epic fail of mine was to arrange on a friends computer a daily
backup (sbackup)  and neglect to set the delete after 'x' days
properly. So after  6 months I got a phone call. I will leave it as an
exercise for the reader to guess the rest.
:-(
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user