[ubuntu-uk] NetBook issue #2

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 15:50:57 UTC 2011

On 14 January 2011 15:35, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Hi again ....  Back to this conference.  It was at the High Leyes
> conference centre.  They offered wi-fi which gave a good signal.
> Unfortunately it was one of these annoying systems that presents as a
> domain (1.1.1.1/login)  You can't do anything on it until it has
> presented it's homepage and you have said yea to the conditions.  I
> managed to get to that screen a couple of times, but after that, Ubuntu
> claimed that it would not handle this wi-fi feed because it does not
> handle domains.  It seems to be a security issue.
>
> I got it to work on my (less secure) pocket pc with Windows mobile five
> and that turned out to be faily useless, as the wi-fi server would not
> allow an iMap feedthrough.  I was able to use webmail on the
> conference-centre's own PC, but only for one provider.  My most used
> server is the crosswire one and that is strictly iMap only with no
> webmail.
>
> I don't suppose there is a workaround for this problem?  I ended up
> using my Broadband dongle until I ran out of payg credit ....  But
> that's another story.

It sounds like restrictions on the network. I think the issue with the
domain login is a known problem with Microsoft Internet Proxy of the type
that only comes up in certain situations. I'm not sure if Samba can resolve
it at all. The other problems sound like regular corporate network security
configuration: Allowing IMAP is very rare, and restricting webmail is very
common. The answer is generally to use a dongle.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"Is this your sanderling?"