[ubuntu-uk] Wireless print server or wireless printer

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 02:55:56 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone could advise me on something...

I've offered to setup two old basic laptops running Ubuntu (not sure
which flavor yet) for a local children's group so the kids can do simple
drawings on Tuxpaint and play with basic educational games etc.

What I'd like to do to make things simple for the staff is to get either
a wireless printer or a wireless print server with a USB port so that
these two laptops can print to it.

There isn't going to be any other wireless networks where the laptops
will be used (so I guess it would need to be an adhoc network) and I
just want them to be able to plug in the laptops and printer and print,
then be able to disconnect it all and put it away at the end of a session.

I've not got much experience with wireless printers (I've only set one
expensive looking HP one up for someone on a Mac and Windows) but I've
got reasonably good experience of setting up network printers on Ubuntu
(HP and Lexmark printers) and I'm wondering if anyone could either
suggest a budget inkjet printer with wireless (the cheaper the better)
or a wireless to USB print server which is known to work with Linux?

Ta,

Rob